top of page

School History

Scoil Diarmada is situated in the townsland of Garterfarm on the Athy road in the historic village of Castledermot, Co, Kildare. Scoil Diarmada is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Archbishop of Dublin. The school depends on the grants and teacher resources provided by the Department of Education and Skills (DES) and it operates within the regulations laid down from time to time by the DES. The school follows the curriculum as laid down by the DES. This may be amended from time to time in accordance with Sections 9 and 30 of the Education Act (1998).

The old school was built in 1952 and refurbished in 1988. There was a separate boys’ and girls’ school called Scoil Mhuire na gCailini and Scoil Mhuire na mBuachailli in the old building. These schools amalgamated in September 1981 under the principalship of Ms Mary Lyng and the new school was named Scoil Diarmada. A new school building commenced in January 2008 and opened on January 7th 2009. 

Mr Brendan Dunne resigned as principal in June 2016 and our fabulous Astro Truf was proudly renamed Pairc Uí Dunne which serves as an epic grounds for lunchtime matches and training.

Ms Jennifer Murphy was appointed as principal in September 2016.

School starts at 9.00 a.m. and finishes at 1.40 p.m. for our Junior and Senior Infant classes and at 2.40 p.m. for the rest of the children. Yard supervision begins at 8.45 a.m. and the Board of Management accepts no responsibility for children who arrive outside of these times.

School Motto: "Ár ndícheall í gcónaí" which translates as "Our best always"

bottom of page